In one of the first pro-gun actions of his administration, President Donald Trump is expected to shortly move to revoke Barack Obama’s illegal actions to effectively outlaw gun collecting.
Obama’s anti-gun “executive action” was announced on January 6, 2016 — in the wake of Obama’s unsuccessful attempt to scapegoat law-abiding gun owners for the actions of a Muslim terrorist in San Bernardino. Obama’s action was implemented as a “clarification” because he knew that his lawless moves could never pass muster under the rule-making procedures of the Administrative Procedures Act.
Under Obama’s now-moribund “clarification,” a gun owner could have been imprisoned for up to five years and fined $250,000 for “only one or two [firearms] transactions,” according to a White House fact sheet.
Note that, under Clinton, tens of thousands of licensees lost their licenses because they didn’t have “brick-or-mortar” stores. Now, in a Clinton/Obama Mutt-and-Jeff routine, Obama proposed to imprison hobbyists who didn’t have licenses because the government refused to issue licenses to them.
Hence, a hobbyist who bought a firearm one day and sold it the next day at a profit could go to prison for five years. Obviously, the intent was to create such a cloud of ambiguity that gun owners would refrain from constitutionally protected activity (private firearms sales), for fear that they would run afoul of Obama’s amorphous rules.
Tragically, in some cases, Obama’s unlawful actions had exactly the intended effect. But, thanks to President Donald Trump, Obama’s unlawful action will soon be repealed — as one of the priority actions of the incoming administration. Gun Owners of America is optimistic that this is only the first in a series of Trump actions overturning illegal Obama actions. We are also asking for Trump administration action:
– Removing the U.S. from the Anti-Gun UN Arms Trade Treaty;
– Repealing bullet and gun import bans going from Obama back to George H. W. Bush’s semi-auto import ban;
– Repealing the suspension of health privacy laws with respect to gun owners;
– Repealing executive actions encouraging doctors to inquire about gun ownership and to enter this information into a federal health database;
– Restoring gun rights for 257,000 law-abiding veterans;
– Repealing Obama’s efforts to strip Social Security recipients of their guns, merely because a guardian processes their checks.
See Donald Trump’s entire speech to the National Rifle Association here:
The work of restoring the Second Amendment to its God-given status has only just begun.
By Tim Macy
Gun Owners of America